Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon

My heart and thoughts are with the city of Boston; the participants, supporters, volunteers and organisers of the Boston Marathon;  the nurses, doctors and emergency staff stationed at the event, and those at hospitals around Boston; and finally, to anyone else affected by the Boston Marathon explosion.

==================

Last night, I went to sleep after following about 20 minutes of the Boston Marathon. This morning, I woke to find that there had been an explosive attack at the end of the race at about the four hour mark. I never thought that a sporting event such as the marathon (and I mean any marathon), would be subject to an attack of this type.

Everyone who participates in a marathon gains respect from me. I know how much training, how much time is spent, how many sacrifices are made, to attempt the 42 km event.  I don't know the specifics, but I understand the effort. It is an event that one undertakes as a challenge to themselves. I don't believe that it is about telling everyone how fantastic a runner one is because they have completed a marathon. Instead, it is something that every finisher will keep for themselves.

Sometimes runners cannot complete an event. If their bodies can't hold up to the stress of the marathon, or if nature provides excessively hot weather or dangerous storms, I feel sorry for the participant and hope that they will give it another go some other day.

But what happened overnight in Boston, did not just affect the participants. It was an attack on everyone involved in the event. I don't know how to take a bomb placed in the crowd that explodes at the four-hour mark. The people finishing at that time are the Everyman: our friends, our family, our neighbours, the many random people that we just pass on the street,  and many more that we shall never encounter. The people watching the finish at that time are the friends, family, and general supporters of everyone who participates in that event - not just those finishing at four hours. Is there meant to be a reason for the attack? To target the support of the event, is that to attack the underlying structure that supports our society? I just don't understand.

It just makes me angry, and very upset that so many were hurt and killed during an event that originates from the end of a battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment